I have always loved to write. When I was twelve years old I bought a typewriter from Western Auto on credit. Yep, the manager gave me credit. I was babysitting all the time practically, and I had enough for a down payment. I began writing bad poetry and stories.
I started working full time at the hospital when I was fourteen and discovered the electric typewriter in the admission’s office. I got permission to use it on nights when I was not working. I was in heaven. I made my own magazines. I spent my time working, going to school, and typing. I hated school, but I loved journalism class. I was on the "Buzette" staff.
I graduated from Haines City High School. I won't say when. Afterward I went to nursing school because 1) the hospital gave me a scholarship, and it wasn’t for writing lessons 2) my mother said I needed to learn something where I’d be able to support myself.
I attended Ida V. Moffett Nursing School at Samford University in Birmingham, AL. I worked many years in a hospital--in CCU, ICU, ER, and outpatient surgery. I now live in Georgia. I have a great husband and three fantastic kids.
1. One night while I was working in labor and delivery, a patient's baby was about to be born. The nurses were tied up in an emergency so I called the doctor. The baby came before he did. I "caught" it. I was fifteen years old.
2. I once got stuck in a freight elevator at the hospital when I was taking a body to the morgue. By the way, things always seem to happen in threes in the hospital. To me.
3. A man brought a brown bag to the ER one night. I did not hear him say there was a live snake inside.
4. When I worked in home health care most of my patients lived in the projects. I once made a cake for one of my patients. His wife ate the whole thing and got sick. I never knew anybody who could eat a whole cake in thirty minutes.
5. My most fun job was doing research for a cardiologist. I played video games with patients while monitoring their EKG and blood pressure. I am good at video games. I am not good at chasing snakes or making cakes.
Feel free to CONTACT ME with any questions or comments. I am always happy to chat!
My three beautiful children, from left to right:
My wonderful husband, Tom
Our furry kids, Ellie (yellow lab) and
Pickles (pitt mix)
And our beloved Nibbles (beagle) who passed away in January 2012 from an autoimmune disease